Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Once Upon a Time there was an office

Have you seen the new ABC TV show Once Upon a Time? I missed the first episode, but watched the second one this week. It’s kind of a cool concept – the premise is along the lines of fairy tale characters being banished from fairy tale land and plopped into the town of Storybrooke, Maine where they have no idea that they’re fairy tale characters and live regular non-fairy tale lives. Ginnifer Goodwin plays Snow White/Mary Margaret and Jennifer Morrison plays Emma Swan, a bondswoman who’s Snow White’s daughter (but neither of them know it). Don’t ask me to explain more than that, I’m still trying to figure things out!

The mayor of Storybrooke really isn’t a very nice lady – but that’s not surprising, seeing as in fairy tale land she’s the Evil Queen. But she has a really cool office…

office

Well, really, it’s an office and a conference room and a living room, all rolled up into one! The series is shot in Vancouver and the interior shots are done at Bridge Studios in Burnaby. Mark Lane is the set director who created this elaborate space, which was designed in black & white because he and production designer Michael Joy thought it fit well with the mayor/Evil Queen. It could also represent good an evil – every fairy tale has to have a hero and a villain.

conf table and deskSet designer Mark Lane – I want his job!

Love the turned lamps flanking the fireplace, and love the tree wallpaper. It makes the room look like an enchanted forest.

fireplace

I’m pretty sure the wallpaper is this one from Seabrook:

seabrook Pattern ID: SBK14258 | Collection name: Eco Chic | Brand: Sandpiper

The black marble columns are actually faux-painted Styrofoam, and the marble & granite floor is faux-painted plywood. But not everything on the set is faux – the satin sofa must be made from real silver, because it cost $18,000! And the black leather chairs are the real thing too.

designer

Every little detail is carefully thought out and designed because with HD, the viewer sees everything. But open the sexy upholstered door in the mayor’s office, and it’s all just an illusion…

door

Not sure if this will help you understand the premise of the show or confuse you more, but here are Ginnifer Goodwin and Jennifer Morrison giving their explanation…

If you want to check out the show and the mayor’s office, Once Upon a Time airs on ABC Sundays at 8:00PM.

sig turquoise

Source & images – The Vancouver Sun

39 comments:

  1. I will have to check out this show. What a fabulous office! Hey, did you get my emails back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to check this one out. I love fairy tales and twists on fairy tales! Now that is an office! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting post. The set actually reminds me of the W Hotel in Washington where we stayed last April (for quite a long time due to the volcano stopping our flights home ....lucky!). I absolutely love the wallpaper - funny as we were just talking about silver bitch trees. Im afraid I cant watch the show (dont get it in Bonnie Scotland!) but thanks for pointing out the set. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fuuuunnn! Kelly. I wondered what this show was about....thanks for the quick synopsis and tour of the...er...office! ...those are some digs I must say. Have seen the tree wallpaper before...it's gorg as are all the other details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All this sounds intriguing - this show hasn't made it here yet !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't even heard of this show! I will have to check it out, now you've got me all interested :) Hope your week is well Kelly, hugs!
    Nancy xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen the show but I certainly enjoyed this post about the set and the set designer. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never even heard of this but I'll have to try and find it. That is quite the office!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My niece made me watch this show and I feel in love with the office. So much that I googled Once Upon a Time Mayor's Office and found your blog. Thank you for all the info and pictures. Made my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to help :-) Hope you're still enjoying the show!

      Delete
  10. OMG you are hilarious. I am really liking that show and have swooned over her office (the husband thinks I notice the strangest things). Thanks for posting some pics...................now I really need to stop reading your lovely blog and go to bed!

    PS: I used to read your Design Ties blog, glad I found you again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for sharing this! I am passing it along on my Disney blog . www.facebook.com/TalesFromTheEighthDwarf . Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love, love, love this show and so does my husband. I fell in love with the office/living room too and wanted to try to do something similar with one of my rooms.. ahh someday. I found this blog in looking for the once upon a time office!
    Thanks, Great blog!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't catch onto the show until the third or fourth episode, but I really like it. Although Rumpelstiltskin totally creeps me out! I'd love to create a room like the mayor's office someday too :-)

      Delete
  13. Thanks so much for posting this. I am a style editor for a number of regional magazines. I Googled the office and found your blog. Excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed my post :-) What magazines do yo work on?

      Delete
  14. Fell in LoVe with the Mayor's office from the moment I first saw it. Thanks for posting pictures so I could get a better look. SO well thought out - every detail is perfect! That wallpaper is definitely the icing on the cake!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the wallpaper too - did you notice the diner has a similar tree wallpaper?

      Delete
  15. Black and white is my absolute favorite! This office is just incredible. Would love to see other things Mark Lane has done - wish he could "do" my humble home! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Lane could decorate my home too! Especially with that awesome tree wallpaper :-)

      Delete
  16. I'm so glad someone wrote about this! I love love love the show and I'm trying to find information about the design of the mayor's office/home and Snow White's apartment! The design and decor is just fantastic. Thanks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to help :-) Snow White's apartment is pretty cool too - I'll see if I can find some pics & info.

      Delete
  17. Does anyone know where the blue & white print curtains are from in David & Catherine's living room?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to pay closer attention next time there's a scene in their living room - I don't remember even noticing the curtains before!

      Delete
  18. LOVE this show & the mayor's office - thanks so mcuh for the info - I'm going to do the birch wallpaper on one wall in my spare bedroom - I can't wait!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that birch wallpaper - it'll look great on a feature wall in your bedroom :-)

      Delete
  19. I am looking for the forest toile in the diner.....I have been in the wallcovering business for a long time and just cannot find this one......appears charcoal on Ivory....with shelves across....distorting the pattern repeat which has added character

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep my eye out for the diner wallpaper. I love the tree theme that runs throughout the show :-)

      Delete
  20. i am doing my baby room in this theme...its already looking amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooos, sounds nice! I think this is a great look for a nursery, combined with some youthful & whimsical accessories :-)

      Delete
  21. Hey! New to this site tryin to find the sofa from the mayor office on the set of once upon a time. I know it cost $18.000.00 I am looking for a replicia can anyone help?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Where can I find the exact starburst mirror? It is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Where can I find the exact starburst mirror? It is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a great office concept you have here! :) Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  25. My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!











    Microsoft Office Support

    ReplyDelete
  26. Finally, an issue that I am passionate about. I have looked for information of this caliber for the last several hours. Your site is greatly appreciated.


    painter

    ReplyDelete
  27. What about the curtains in this office, I would like to know where to get this same one - i see lots of black and white curtains but I really like this one and and the sheer underneath (which I'm presuming is sheer damask by the looks of it!?)

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Does anyone know where I can purchase the sofa, other furnishing, light fitting and similar decor?

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm looking for the dining table, actually. It matches the desktop, white marble with a black inlay or print design. Fabulous doesn't even begin to describe it.

    ReplyDelete

You aren't allowed to go away until you leave a comment!