Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Mixed-media kitchen cabinets

You’ve probably seen lots of kitchens with different colours on the upper and lower cabinets, or an island that’s a different colour or material than the rest of the cabinetry in the kitchen. Here’s a twist on the unmatched look that I find quite striking – kitchen cabinet doors that are a different colour than the cabinetry around them.

When I came across this picture, I was instantly struck by the contrast between the dark glass doors with the white cabinetry. They remind me of black steel-framed windows, which I love.

kitchen A touch of luxe 
Image via A Touch of Luxe

And then I came across this glam kitchen with chrome (or are they mirrored?) glass doors in an ad for SieMatic.

News_SieMatic_BeauxArts_02_sterling_grey_1236

In this black & white kitchen designed by sisters Katrina & Amie on The Block, the white upper cabinets are framed in black, and the black doors above the fridge are framed in white. Nice contrast :-)

Katrina - Aimee Kitchen The Block-01

This kitchen by Downsview Kitchens takes the idea a step further with white doors combined with dark grey cabinetry. Love the stripe effect created by the line of grey drawers.

Transitional Downsview Kitchens 2

Here are a couple more kitchens by Downsview Kitchens with another take on this look – stainless steel drawers and wood cabinetry.

Transitional Downsview KitchensTransitional Downsview Kitchens 3

Another example of combining stainless steel drawers and wood.

9-griffith-kitchen house beautiful Image via House Beautiful

These two kitchen designs by Allimilmo are a bit over the top – they take this idea in a different direction with metal trim around the doors and drawers. I think this look would work better with only the upper or lower doors framed in metal, though. Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing!

Allmilmo 2 Allmilmo 1

How do you feel about combining different finishes in your kitchen cabinetry? Would you incorporate any of these looks into your kitchen?


sig turquoise

20 comments:

  1. I do love that first image - very clever! I think it works especially well because the cabinet doors are balancing with the deep brown/black island and barstools.

    Thanks for the inspiration! Now, let's see if I can get some clients to go for it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my ...such inspiration...the first one is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love these sorts of details, especially the first picture. It seems like a small detail but when put in practice makes such a big difference, and transforms the ordinary to the extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these are gorgeous. I love mixed materials in the kitchen. My own has stainless and copper, zebra wood and teak, cherry and granite. It's all different but harmonious at the same time:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the first image - one of my favourite kitchens - ever! The second kitchen is also interesting mixing in the stainless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of combining...it just makes it that much more interesting. I love that first kitchen...all amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I had a larger kitchen, I would love to do something like this. As it is, I'm afraid it would look disjointed. My favorite is the gray and white - love it! Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. How timely !! I just had the kitchen man here today getting a quote for more cupboards !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This trend is new to me but I'm totally on board. What a nice way to add some interest to the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to agree with you Kelly, LOVE particularly the first look. Also notice the reason why this 'may' work is that the Cupboards and Islands tie in with another. (No individual contrast.) As far as the 'stainless trims' go (last two pics) must also agree 'too much'. :)
    -Brenda-

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found it hard to spot in the first picture, it looked so natural. Thanks for introducing me to this trend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great inpsiration Kelly. I have always loved kitchens with two tone cabinets, but hadn't looked at doing it this way. I LOOOVE the first one! And the wood/stainless steel combo is a nice look too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I am in love with these kitchens! Thanks for the inspirational images.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi I've been having a hard time finding out where the light fixture in the siematic kitchen can be bought...I've looked everywhere. Can you please help me, do you possibly know? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where the light fixture is from, but a couple of good web sites to check are Lamps Plus and Bellacor. Good luck!

      Kelly

      Delete
  15. your All kitchen design looking impressive, But I want you to change the blue color with some light color like pink.

    Kitchens Leicester

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful designs, it is a nice idea to combine stainless steel and wood, thanks for sharing all these kitchens with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree to you Liam. Those kitchen cabinets are really nice. I also love the stainless steel and the quality of the wood. I want to have this for my kitchen.

      http://thekitchen-cabinetry.blogspot.com/2013/04/Cheap-Kitchen-Cabinets.html

      Delete
  17. I have been having a hard time finding out where the light fixture in the siematic kitchen can be bought.Our cheap kitchen cabinets design is durable and will be complimentary to the interiors of rest of your home. We also allow Discount Kitchen Cabinets Victoria to our regular clients.

    ReplyDelete

You aren't allowed to go away until you leave a comment!