Monday, October 29, 2012

The Kelly Wearstler effect

Remember the ombré effect I was trying to paint on the walls in the craft room? Totally over it. Ombré is so yesterday ;-) Well, no, not really – but I’m so loving Plan B for the room, I wish I’d skipped Plan A and all the headaches it caused. 

As I  mentioned last week, Plan B started with painting the short wall under the ledge PARA Paints Climb The Mast for no reason other than I had to cover up the ombré fail and start from scratch, and I didn’t have enough white primer. That’s when I had my AH-HA moment, and I painted the other wall under the ledge Climb The Mast as well. I originally thought I’d stencil the two walls – but quite frankly, I didn’t feel like waiting any longer to get this project done. Ordering a stencil would mean having to wait, and I’m an instant gratification kind of girl!

white walls

So instead, I used the Mulholland china pattern by Kelly Wearstler as my inspiration…

mulholland

…and taped off random stripes on the two white walls using 1/4” and 1” painters tape. I kept taping off stripes till I ran out of tape. Which happened somewhere around midnight ;-) After each piece of tape went up, I stepped back to see how it looked. I didn’t have any specific layout in mind, I just went with what looked good to me.

taped for stripes

I seem to have forgotten to take a picture of the next step, which was painting along the edges of each piece of tape with Climb The Mast. This way, if any paint seeped under the tape, it would be the same colour as the wall. It’s the best way to get nice crisp lines. {I’ve posted a tutorial on how to paint a super-clean line here.}

Next, I painted two coats of PARA Paints It’s A Steal over the taped walls {the same as the colour on the rest of the walls}.

painted over tape

And then I held my breath as I started peeling off the tape. Always remove tape as soon as you’re finished painting – if you wait till the paint dries, it’s more likely that some paint will get pulled up along the edges of the tape.

And here’s how the walls look now…

stripes painted 2

stripes close

I love how the walls turned out, and it was really easy to do. It just took some time and patience, and a big painting flop ;-)

So now that the walls are painted, I’m painting an old table that I pulled out of the garage, painting the door, I’ll be painting a bookcase (all more PARA Paints Blog Crew projects!) and hubby is helping me create a really cool wrapping paper holder. I’ll share the projects with you as I finish them, and it hopefully won’t be too long till the final room reveal. I’m really excited to get it done, because doing craft projects on the kitchen counter really isn’t ideal. Every now and then I find another splatter of paint from my colossal paint accident back in January.

Thanks again PARA Paints for selecting me to be on your blog crew. There’s a lot more colour coming soon!

And thank you Clydia at Three Mango Seeds for featuring my Kelly Wearstler-inspired craft room walls on your blog :-)

Three Mango Seeds

Linking up to…

DesignDreams by Anne 

18 comments:

  1. Looks great Kelly! I would LOVE a craft room! I'm not even using my kitchen counter - but a makeshift table in the garage - which is darn chilly come November .... brrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fabulous, Kelly! What a great outcome :-) Looking forward to seeing the unveiling of each project in your lineup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oohh.. this is neat! And simple enough that I might actually be able to pull off in the basement! Thanks Kelly!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pattern that you did on the wall Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so good Kelly! I absolutely love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah!!!!! I am glad you love it! It looks fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I'm pretty stoked about how it turned out :-)
      Kelly

      Delete
  8. Super fun, Kelly. It looks great! Can't wait to see that wrapping paper holder...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - looks amazing Kelly! I love Kelly Wearstler's design sense and that china pattern is fantastic! Can't wait to see how the room looks when you finish! It will be such a great craft space :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea, Kelly. The walls look awesome, you did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great Kelly! Sometimes Plan B is the one that should have been Plan A! Can't wait to see the other projects you have planned.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i like it! we (the royal we meaning he) just finished repainting the second storey of our loft, a year later i decided that yes, i had made a mistake and that other colour was less than perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job Kelly! Love the It's a Steal colour - need to look that one up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE this - another week, another feature! Thanks for linking up again. xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Kelly I love this! You did such a great job and I would love to feature you tomorrow! Would you mind to add a link back to my place? If you do, please leave a comment and let me know that you did so I can add to you the features! :)

    http://www.threemangoseeds.blogspot.com/2012/10/its-party-time-10-28-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad I found your featured wall on Every Sunday Party. Looks like a lot of work, but just awesome.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com/
    Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like how this turned out Kelly. Nice job. In fact, I think I like this even better than if the ombre would have worked. Nicely done. (Diane Jarvis-Schuller)

    ReplyDelete

You aren't allowed to go away until you leave a comment!