I think I need to open a home for wayward furniture :-) These are the two most recent additions to my collection:
My cousin-in-law Susan’s aunt had these pieces for over 30 years. No idea where they came from or how old they are, but when Susan asked me if I wanted them, I said sure :-) Her aunt was in the process of refinishing the chair, but gave up with just one side of one leg left to sand.
I love the shade of blue of the original paint, and I think I’m going to incorporate it onto my makeover by doing a little something like this…
Image via Little Green Notebook
Or maybe this…
![]()
Image via House & Home
Robin’s Egg / SR17 from the Sarah Richardson Designer Palette for Para Paints looks like a pretty close match to the original blue on the chair.![]()
Although I really like Para’s Tropical Lagoon P5018-44 – it’s such a fresh, happy, fun colour :-)
Which blue would you choose?
When Susan sent me a picture of the mirror, it looked huge. I thought it was a massive 5 or 6 foot tall floor mirror. Well, not so much – it’s actually a small table mirror. Whoopsie, should have paid attention to the picture of the mirror next to a ruler! It needs a good cleaning and sanding, and some repair work to one side of the base.
Hubby did a great job rebuilding the backs on two of these chairs and the base on this table, so I’m sure he can work his magic on this baby :-)
Then I’ll need to decide how to finish it off. I’m thinking I might make some homemade chalk paint for the base and mirror frame, and zincify the metal rings.
How would you make over the mirror?

Great gifts to refurbish with TLC! I love the mirror, and actually really like the look of the darker colour and natural distressing around the hardware & frame area where the mirror pivots (does that make sense?) That's the direction I would be taking this little gem in :-)
ReplyDeleteAwesome free furniture! I am dying to do a dip paint job on something too! I would probably lighten up the mirror by painting it white or something sunny. But your plan sounds great!!
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of dipping the legs of your chair. I may be doing this myself to a couple of old chairs I have at the cottage. The Robin's Egg colour gets my vote. As far as the mirror goes, I would probably go light or bright with the colour, depending on where it will end up, and keep the hardware dark.
ReplyDeleteNice finds! That chair is amazing. And I'm loving Sarah's Robin's Egg Blue. Looking forward to seeing what you do!
ReplyDeleteOhhhh, we are always on the same page with ideas. I am loving the paint dipped look ... can't wait to see what you do with it. :)
ReplyDeleteIs the sausage dog also looking for a new home or just in line waiting to have its legs dipped ??? its too cute for words !
ReplyDeleteHi kelly (waving all the way from Australia)
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, you mentioned Sarah Richardson! She is my absolute favourite designer on TV at the moment. I think the way she paints old, unused furniture then matches vibrant fabric is so inspirational. You also mentioned homemade chalk paint for the frame. I am now fascinated...how do you do this?...golly I have a lot to catch up on in your blog. Better go and read that post about the mayors office hehe
Mrs B xxx
The dipped legs are so fun! I really like the white and blue chair; it's a nice twist on the dipped legs we've been seeing :) And that mirror will look great with some chalk paint!
ReplyDeleteWhatever you do with those two pieces I know they will be just stunning! Any way to incorporate that mirror in your new bathroom?
ReplyDeleteWhat awesome finds! And I love the dipped legs look!
ReplyDeleteGreat scores! One person's junk another's treasure, right? I love the bright lagoon colour, and dipped legs would look awesome.
ReplyDeletenice! there is definitely a lot of potential, the turquoise color looks really good and bright! Love it ! Can't wait to see more.
ReplyDelete