Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Bathrooms on the brain & are you my lucky winner?

I never thought I’d spend so much time contemplating toilets – who knew there were so many toilet options to choose from?! Luckily, hubby and I both agree on the toilet that we want for our master bathroom makeover, so that’s a start :-) And we agree on the tub {it’s currently in our garage} and the floor tiles. Now is the tricky part – agreeing on a vanity design that hubby can build. This could be a tough one! Hubby asked me to look for vanities that I like, and this is what I’ve come up with so far…

I love the circle & X detailing on the doors on this vanity. Not sure if hubby can do it – although he’s always into taking on a challenge :-)

Beautiful vanity detailing Pinto Designs and AssociatesImage via Houzz | Design by Pinto Designs and Associates

I love all the drawers in this vanity and the thick countertop. I also love those bubbles reflected in the mirror on the right :-)

Lots of drawers Dayna Katlin InteriorsImage via Houzz | Design by Dayna Katlin Interiors

Hubby wants to incorporate a medicine cabinet into the center of the vanity. Not sure how I feel about that idea, but it would be a great place to put electrical outlets.

Outlet placement Kayron Brewer CKD Studio KBImage via Houzz | Design by Kayron Brewer CKD / Studio KB

I like that this vanity has open shelves. Gives it a lighter look and feel.

open shelves Chalet FurnitureImage via Houzz | Chalet Furniture

Love the drawer hardware on this vanity. My first choice was crystal knobs, but I’m really digging these circles.

Hardware Artistic Designs for Living Tineke TriggsImage via Houzz | Design by Artistic Designs for Living, Tineke Triggs

I’m trying to convince hubby that a dresser as a vanity is a great idea. How could he not agree after seeing this awesome dresser-turned-vanity?

Dresser as vanity Martha OHara InteriorsImage via Houzz | Design by Martha O’Hara Interiors

I’m pretty sure this isn’t going to happen, but I adore the look of this vanity with the countertop material wrapped down the side. Also love the tiled wall above the vanity – such a great look.

Image via HGTV | Design by Candice Olson

Let me know if you have a favourite – I may need some leverage in the great vanity debate!

****************************************************************

Thanks to everyone who entered my giveaway to win a painting by Ottawa artist Susan Bailie. Judging by the comments, you REALLY like her work! I wish I had a painting for each of you, but there can only be one winner. And that lucky person is…

Carol @ The Design Pages

Congratulations Carol! I know you’re going to LOVE your new painting – Susan’s Petit Puff collection is so sweet :-) I’ll get the two of you in touch so you can sort out the delivery details.

18 comments:

  1. Oh I love the circle and x motifs on the first one but I also like the openness of the fourth one. Maybe a combo of both of these. Drawers are so much more practical in a bathroom so put lots of those in. That dresser vanity is really cute but then as you know I'm partial to those. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting venture...getting ready to redo an 1800's beach house so I have bathrooms and every other room on my brain!! I so love a dresser converted - know it's not that practical, but so, so pretty!! Can't wait to follow along, as I'm your newest follower ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Kelly, I am beyond excited to be the winner of that amazing painting!!!! I have been thinking of the painting since I entered and am an art lover so I feel very fortunate to be the new owner. I promise to give it the very best new home. Thanks so much!!! BTW, I love all your options for bathrooms but I especially lean towards the vanity with open shelving or the dresser turned vanity. Thanks again for making my day:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got a lot of great inspiration here, and can't go wrong with any of them! My favorite is the 4th one - I love that whole area!

    Congratulations to Carol on her lucky win :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You totally have my vote for picture # 4 & #7, it makes the bathroom very cozy and bright. Congrats @Carol for winning the painting! I really like the vanity dresser photo as well, perhaps you can do the ombre dresser in the bathroom...that'll be pretty neat as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmmm, I hadn't thought of using my dumpster dresser.... I'll have to measure it and see if it's the right size for a vanity. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Kelly

      Delete
    2. Any time! Keep us posted :) excited to see progress!

      Delete
  6. OMG the toilet search! It took hubby literally FOUR MONTHS to find a toilet we both liked and were comfortable sitting on (5'8" and 6'4" makes quite a different in seating experiences). We embarrassed ourselves at every bath supplier within a 100km radius by sitting on all the toilets ... ALL OF THEM. So consider yourself lucky that you agree so early in the game. It was painful :)

    As for favourites? I'm basically in love with #4 through #7. We retrofitted an antique dresser for our own bathroom (and topped with marble) and we love it. Plus, quite a lot easier for your hubby to customize an existing piece rather than build an entirely new one. "Easy" is a pretty underrated selling feature ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am interested in your choice of material for vanity top and basin. I chose porcelain for my recently purchased vanity but in the past have had Corion which is expensive but incredibly durable for family living.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such great style! I think my favorites are the first, the one with the open shelves, and the last one. What color is your vanity going to be, as in the cabinets and stuff?! The tile in the last one is gorgeous. Congrats to Carol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vanity is going to be white. Right now, we're leaning towards a double version of vanity #5, mainly because it's all drawers and has a furniture look to it with the legs. And I do love those circle drawer pulls :-)

      Kelly

      Delete
  9. Congratulations to Carol!!! I like the idea of recycling an old dresser to be used as a vanity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm working on our guest bathroom right now, so I definitely have bathroom on the brain as well! I wish my husband would let me replace our vanities, but alas, my only options are painting. :\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain - I painted the vanity in our master bathroom about seven years ago because it was about the only thing I could change besides the wall colour. You might be surprised with how big a difference a new vanity colour can make :-)

      Kelly

      Delete
  11. Love your design ideas, Kelly, and your gorgeous inspiration images! Especially fond of the glass tiles, glass balls... oh, did I say glass? Glass Art is close to my heart!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're also going to have a glass shower and glass divider wall between the tub & toilet (hint, hint!) ;-)

      Kelly

      Delete
  12. I like the idea of the waterfall counter top and I see that someone already has suggested the possibility of using one of your dumpster- find dressers. Also, did you see the recent article on Houzz by Lisa Federick titled 'Put the kibosh on hairdryer chaos'? IF not, you might find it interesting.

    It sounds like you are making a lot of headway Kelly and you say that your very beautiful tub and tiles are in your garage. Out of curiousity do have guard dogs stationed at its entry? Just askIN! :)

    Re choosing a toilet aren't the choices out there overwhelming but I am determined when we do our bathroom renovationS at least one will have a 'comfort height' toilet. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would be saying that, but all you have to is throw your back out once and you will know what I mean.

    HAPPY RENO-ING. -Brenda-
    P.S: Congrats to Carol, lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the tub is in the garage, the tiles haven't been ordered yet. And yes, we have guard dogs! Well, OK, the only danger a thief has is being licked to death, but still... ;-)

      We're going with a wall mounted toilet, so presumably we can hang it at whatever height we want. I just hope it stays attached to the wall!

      Thanks for mentioning the article over at Houzz - just got some new ideas!

      Kelly

      Delete

You aren't allowed to go away until you leave a comment!