I’m actually back from Budapest now, but seeing as I’ve posted about days 1 to 5, I have to include day 6 too! So let’s just pretend that today is Thursday…
Whoever comes up with the forecasts at The Weather Network was SO wrong about Budapest weather this week, especially today. So much for –4 and sunny – it was more like –15 and cloudy. But that didn’t stop us from putting in another full day of exploring!
We started off with a Segway tour at 10:00AM. I totally didn’t think to get pics of us on our Segways, and the tour covered pretty much the same area we’ve already covered, so there wasn’t anything new to take pics of. Riding a Segway is a total blast, and we learned some really interesting info from our tour guide, though. Here`s something you might not know – in the movie Evita, the scene where Madonna sings “Don’t Cry For Me Argentina”, she was standing on the balcony of the Opera House in Budapest.
![]()
We popped inside the Opera House after the Segway tour to warm up a bit. This is the ceiling in the lobby:
![]()
![]()
Then we set off to look for a restaurant that I wanted to try out in the Jewish Quarter. It took forever to find the restaurant, and when we did finally find it, it was closed. ARGH! The Jewish Quarter is kind of run down, but it’s probably a colourful and vibrant area of the city when the weather is better. There used to be a large Jewish population in Budapest, but many were killed or died trying to leave Hungary during World War II. These are a couple of buildings in the Jewish Quarter…
![]()
![]()
Budapest has the second-largest Jewish Synagogue in the world (after New York City). I didn’t think we`d seen it, but I just googled it and realized that I took a picture of it without even realizing it!
![]()
After lunch, we took the subway up to the end of Andrassy utca to Szechenyi Baths, City Park, and Heroes Square. Budapest has a number of baths around the city, and Szechenyi is probably the most popular one.
![]()
We didn’t have our bathing suits with us, so we just walked around the outside of the building…
![]()
![]()
![]()
…and took a peek inside. The ceiling is beautiful.
![]()
Across the street from the baths is Vajdahunyad Castle. It was designed by Ignác Alpár and was built between 1896 and 1908. It was originally made from cardboard and wood for Hungary`s millennial exhibition in 1896, but it became so popular that it was rebuilt with stone and brick. Today it houses the Agricultural Museum.
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
And then we went to Hosok Ter (Heroes Square). It`s a huge square at the top of Andrassy utca. Millennium Memorial (also known as Millennium Monument or Millenary Monument) is in the center of the square and includes statues of the leaders of the seven tribes that founded Hungary in the 9th century and other outstanding figures of Hungarian history. The construction of the memorial was started when the 1000th anniversary of Hungary was celebrated in 1896, but it wasn’t finished until 1900.
If you read my previous posts about Budapest, you know that St. Stephen is an important figure in Hungary`s history. So of course his statue is in Heroes Square:
![]()
After Heroes Square, it was back on the subway to the hotel, and then out to wander around the market, which still had a bunch of booths…
![]()
![]()
I bought a huge purple pencil for my office :-)
![]()
![]()
Budapest has the prettiest manhole covers I’ve seen.
![]()
![]()
I had to buy one of these purple, white, and copper ornaments:
![]()
I wanted to buy one of these ceramic paper bags too, but sadly my willpower kicked in ;-)
![]()
A couple more shops near Vorosmoty ter…
![]()
![]()
Then we went to Gerbaud to buy some cake…
![]()
…and to Menza for dinner. I was totally planning to have the Hungarian cottage cheese dumplings for dessert, but I was absolutely stuffed with creamy garlic soup, a mini langos, pig`s knuckle, potatoes, a hot apple pie drink, and a sour cherry pie drink! Hey, it was our last night in Budapest, we had to live it up a bit! ;-) After dinner, we walked back to the hotel and packed for our trip back home. Good-bye Budapest, we had a great time getting to know you!
And now we`re back in Ottawa. But unfortunately, our luggage is in Germany. We barely made our connection in Frankfurt, and our luggage didn`t. When it shows up (hopefully later today), Canada Customs is going to confiscate my salami. I`m SO ticked off about that. We walked really far to buy authentic Hungarian Pick`s Salami, and now we find out we aren`t allowed to bring it into Canada. Grrrrr…. At least I get some form of payback – our luggage is filled with all our dirty clothes, so they`ll have to deal with my skanky underwear if they want my salami!
Happy 2011 everyone!
Kelly,
ReplyDeleteI've heard nothing but horror stories lately about connections in Frankfurt. Hopefully your luggage arrives today with salami intact!
Amy
Kelly, these pictures are amazing! What a fantastic way to spend the holidays. Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteKelly
I've been reading each of the posts about your trip, so I apologize for waiting until now to comment! I've so much enjoyed seeing all of the fabulous images - thanks for sharing them. I'll probably never go there, but now I've at least gotten to see what it's like.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about your luggage (and the salami :-(). Welcome back and Happy 2011!
How can you not think to take a photo of you & B riding on your segways?! Bad Kelly!! Loving all your other pics, though :-)
ReplyDeleteVictoria
Finally had a chance to sit down and read all your great posts about Budapest. Looks like you had a fantastic time. Would have loved to have been there to taste all the yummy treats. Happy New Year Kelly!
ReplyDeleteGlad you are back safe and sound! What an amazing trip you had! Apple pie and sour cherry drink???? Yummmmo! Happy New Year to you!
ReplyDeleteWhat amazing photos. I'm loving reading about your trip. Hopefully you'll have your luggage soon.
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year!
I had Lindt chocolate sauce confiscated leaving Heathrow - I was told it was a fluid !!! So good luck seeing your salami !!
ReplyDeleteHappy 2011! Have a great time! Xoxo
ReplyDeleteWelcome home Kelly!! I am so glad to see that your trip ended well. Funny that I was in NY and saw the biggest synagogue while you saw the second biggest one all the way across the world!! So cool. Happy New Year my friend!!
ReplyDeleteNancy xo
Thanks for the great tour Kelly! I really enjoyed it, you got some lovely photos. Happy New Year! Glad you're back safe and sound with your luggage today!
ReplyDeleteI feel there's no need to go to Budapest now with the daily tour you have given us! Looks like you had an amazing trip - thanks for sharing it all with us!
ReplyDeleteHi Kelly
ReplyDeleteIsn't European architecture amazing? I think everyone from North America needs to experience Europe at least once. You took some great photos of Budapest. We have Hungarian friends and heard a lot about the city. My mom has been there in the 60s (before I was born) and talks about Budapest all the time. Glad you enjoyed your trip - what a great way to start a new year.
Kinga
Oh my goodness, I am just drinking in all the gorgeous sights you saw and shared! The market, the shopping, the opera house! Wow. What a trip!!!! And now it is Tuesday night....Sarah and Tommy time! Woot Woot! Glad you had a most excellent journey to a fabulous old country!
ReplyDeleteWow, you must have been posting prior to this from Budapest! I didn't check while you were gone. I LOVE all these photos of the architecture. And they sure have great style from the photos of the shop windows. Fantastic.
ReplyDeleteI've never been to Budapest, but I'll probably be travelling to Europe next year.
ReplyDeleteThe hotel downtown Buenos Aires I stayed at was really amazing, and I hope to find something as this in other countries.