I was a bit late getting to the Big Bang Theory party. Like, about 5 seasons late. I’m not a fan of sitcoms because they’re usually more corny than funny, and laugh tracks drive me nuts. But lately a lot of people have been telling me that I HAVE to watch The Big Bang Theory.
Image via frontierspace.co.uk
I stood my anti-sitcom ground at first, but then I caved and hubby downloaded seasons 1-4. We’ve been watching two or three episodes a night night, and we’re about 1/3 through season 3. And I have to say, I really like it :-) Sheldon is hilarious. This is my favourite Sheldon-ism – probably because I’m a bit obsessive compulsive too ;-)
And I can totally relate to Sheldon’s reaction when somebody sits in his spot on the sofa – I feel the same way when people are over and somebody takes “my spot”.
On top of being truly funny, the show is a colour feast for the eyes. Penny’s apartment is typically a mess, but the fun & bright colours & accessories are pretty awesome. I believe I see a little Tangerine Tango in there…
Image from Set Decorators Society of America
Images via Lovely Undergrad
Awesome bright green walls in the comic book store, and the comic covers and artwork inject lots of additional colour into the space. The writers and producers liked the comic store set so much after the first time they used it, that they wrote future episodes set in the comic store.
Image from Set Decorators Society of America
It’s not just the set that’s colourful, the clothes are too…
Images from Livejournal
Set Decorator Ann Shea and Production Designer John Shaffner must have a blast working on the Big Bang Theory set. They also design the sets for Mike & Molly and Two and a Half Men, and were nominated for Outstanding Are Direction for a Multi-Camera Series at the 2011 Primetime Emmy Awards.
Bazinga!
![]()
I have heard so many people talk about this show that I may have to check it out! That is one colorful set!
ReplyDeleteSuper bright colors! Do you need sunglasses for those shows? :-)
ReplyDeleteI love that show, too, Kelly! Could you imagine dealing with someone who is like a Sheldon without the social norms we are all used to? : ) I've always noticed the colors and especially the layered shirts Sheldon wears.
ReplyDeleteI am anti sit-com too but I do see snippets of this show when the children watch it - it would take a lot for me to watch it regularly - but I don't watch much TV at the best of times.
ReplyDeleteFun post Kelly. I don't watch the show, but I love how you coordinated the set design/ colours with colour samples. Can you teach me how to do that.?
ReplyDeleteI don't watch it but my hubby sure does. I didn't realize how fun the sets were, I may have to take a peek at it from time to time.
ReplyDeleteWe've been watching The Big Bang Theory since day one and we love it. The sets are great too and it's pretty neat that you did this post detailing colour schemes etc. Glad you are enjoying becoming fans of (knock, knock, knock Penny....knock, knock, knock Penny...knock, knock, knock Penny) Sheldon :)
ReplyDeleteKelly I just found your blog and want to thank you for all your kind support of my Seawashed artwork. I hope the sanddollar print looks lovely in your home. I love Big Bang Theory. I just began watching the re-runs with my teenage kids...now we watch them every night. My son one morning knocked on his sisters door saying "Holly, Holly, Holly" in the way Sheldon does. Hillarious!
ReplyDeleteThis show is really funny, I love it. And I'm a giant nerd so I get all the jokes except for some of the physics related ones :) Because physics is a whole nother level of nerd of course :)
ReplyDeleteNancy xo